How to set delegate access in Gmail with Patronum
You or your users may want to give access to their Gmail account to another person. Gmail Mail delegation lets delegated users read, send, and delete messages on the account owner’s behalf. For example, executives can delegate Gmail access to an administrative assistant.
A single Gmail account supports up to 1000 delegates. Typical we would expect to see around 40 delegated users accessing a Google Gmail account at the same time.
Turn on Gmail delegation
Before you can use Patronum to grant delegate access you need to enable Gmail delegation within the Google Admin Console.
Important: To assign people from different organizational units as delegates, Gmail delegation must be turned on for those organizational units. Delegation is turned on separately for each organizational unit.
- In your Google Admin console (at admin.google.com)…
- Go to Apps > Google Workspace > Gmail > User settings .
- To apply the setting to everyone, leave the top organizational unit selected. Otherwise, select a child organizational unit.
- Next to Mail delegation, point to the setting and click Edit .
- Check the Let users delegate access to their mailbox to other users in the domain box.
- (Optional) To let users specify what sender information is included in delegated messages sent from their account, check the Allow users to customize this setting box.
- Select an option for the sender information that’s included in messages sent by delegates:
- Show the account owner and the delegate who sent the email—Message headers include the email addresses of the Gmail account owner and the delegate.
- Show the account owner only—Message headers include the email address of the Gmail account owner only. The delegate email address is not included.
- Click Save.
- (Optional) To turn on Gmail delegation for other organizational units, repeat Steps 3 through 8.
It can take up to 24 hours for changes to take effect.
Setting Delegate Access in Patronum
Within Patronum you can manage your users delegate access, both who they have delegate access to and who has delegate access to their Gmail inbox.
Remember whatever you can configure for a single user manually, you can configure for multiple users via a Patronum Policy
To manage an individuals delegate access:-
1. Navigate to the user you are interested in.
2. Select the SETTINGS tab.
3. From the settings section you can select the Delegate Access panel.
4. Add delegate or remove delegates.
From the add option, you can decide to grant access to the account or give access to for this user to other accounts.